By: Dr. Robi Ludwig
When I decided to partner with Coldwell Banker on a survey about how Americans feel about home ownership, I was intrigued by what we might find. What we found didn’t surprise me as much as it confirmed my working hypothesis: that homeownership is still something the vast majority of Americans seek.
Human beings are hard-wired to want to own things; we are by nature territorial beings, and we see this from an early age when children declare something as “mine.” Moreover, we have a deep desire to feel rooted and that’s what home ownership provides; your home gives you a sense of security, comfort and safety. We are also social creatures and rooting ourselves in a community makes us feel that we are a part of something bigger than ourselves.
Below are some of the results from our survey that I found most compelling and wanted to share:
The most interesting results from the Coldwell Banker survey about how Americans feel about home ownership.
- 95 percent of Americans feel it’s important for their children to own a home someday. Of that, 74 percent feel it’s absolutely essential / very important.
- 94 percent of homeowners agree that they are glad they own a home.
- 85 percent of Americans agree that they always dreamed of owning a home.
- 78 percent of homeowners agree that owning a home is one of their greatest achievements.
- 83 percent of renters agree that they want to own a home someday.
Is owning a home someday one of your goals? Or, if you already own your home, do you consider it one of your greatest achievements? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
A psychotherapist with more than 20 years of treating patients in both clinical and private practice, Dr. Robi Ludwig is also regular expert news contributor, providing her insight on psychological issues and the complexity of the human condition.
- Introducing the Coldwell Banker First Time Home Buyer Resource Center
- Coldwell Banker Ranks College Town Affordability
- 2011 Forbes 30 Under 30 Includes Two Coldwell Banker Agents
Compelling Results from Coldwell Banker's American Desire to Own Survey.